Monday, October 22, 2007

The move to Brussels

So I am officially moved to Brussels as of Thursday, October 18! It was a whirlwind final week in Norway- getting everything packed up, picked up, saying goodbye, making sure all paperwork was in order, and not getting any sleep!! By my final day in Norway my apartment was completely empty except for some trash and my computer and phone. I spent Wednesday sitting on the floor making phone calls to apartments in Brussels- I have mastered the phrase "par le vu angles?" I have no idea if i spelled that correctly but it means "Do you speak english?" The joys of once again being at square one with a language:) But it was fun to set up some apointments to go look at apartments. Then for my final dinner Kate and Thor took me out for some Komler- a traditional norwegian potato ball meal. Afterwards we walked around town and I got a few pictures of things that would remind me of Norway. Here I am sitting on my floor making calls and me and Kate in front of the Narvesen- my favorite place to get "polse"

I arrived to Brussels Thursday night and Janet and the kids picked me up. The next day we went to a french cafe for lunch- here are the coolest people living in Brussels-Janet, Liesl, Me and Jessica-all Young Life staffers!
Sunday was my birthday-yes I am another year older-the big 31!- and the Phipps were so great- they made sure I felt special on my bday! Even with late notice they got me some great presents- Here is Braden with the blanket they gave me and Brooks with the candle and turbie towel! They even knew my favorite color was orange- check out the candle!!

MMMMMM cake!! imported from the USA- we love BETTY CROCKER!! They improvised a little on the candle- tealights are multi-purpose!

Today after we went apartment hunting- By the way I got a great one- I will move in on Nov 15!! so afterwards me and Liesl went to enjoy the gorgeous fall day and took some pictures in one of the many parks around my new apartment!!
Brussels is gorgeous this fall. And I am LOVING my new team. They are really awesome. I was sitting at the Phipps house last night and we were having a conversation and in the middle of it I was again struck with how blessed I am and how amazing God is to have brought me to this place to be on this team. I am SOOO excited about what is and will happen here. I hope you all will come visit soon!!

3 comments:

Landis said...

Riss, congrats on your new apartment today, glad you "beat" out the other lady, next time tackle her and take her down! Love Ya.

darlene said...

A new apartment!! Can't wait to see pics of it - I need specifics and a story about getting the apt.

Preben and Ellen said...

great post marissa!!! i am sad that you won't be in norway when i get back :(.... but i'm so happy you are getting settled in your new home! i will miss you!