Saturday, October 13, 2007

Last Hike in Norway

Of course Norway has many famous hikes and fjords and they love to combine the two. I have hiked Prekistolen 3 times already but there was one other hike/fjord tour I wanted to do and that was Kjerag. A couple of friends of mine called the other day and said that if the weather held out they wanted to hike it on Saturday. I had a lot of stuff to do(like finish packing) but I also really wanted to do this hike and see the famous Kjeragbolten(pictured later) so I said i would go. I have to admit to secretly wanting it to rain so I would get my other stuff done:) but this morning there was no rain so off we went(again secretly I took a book because if it was raining when we arrived-after the 2 hour drive- i was just gonna stay in the car and get some "homework" done) So we set off. Here is a picture of our group before we left. We have 3 Norwegians, an Indian, an Aussie and an American.

So I was told the hike would take approximately 6 hours total and it was 10 km. Well we set off and soon I realized that this was going to take some work- like some rock climbing skills as well as hiking ones- but at least they provided us with some chains to pull ourselves up with.

The hike was nice(a little rainy and foggy) but i think on the way there we went down as much as we went up- which I knew meant a yucky reverse trip! But finally we made it only to find out that it was too foggy to really see anything but here are Gunnar and I at the famous rock. It is basically a boulder that has gotten stuck between 2 of the cliffs.

Now many a crazy Norwegian or in our case Aussie has jumped out on that rock. You may think no big deal- but again the fog is literally couding your view. Let me give you a better picture of what kind of fate you would meet with one small mistep.

Yes- that give you a better picture of what lies beneath that Kjeragbolten-1000 meters of air and then some nice rocks! So needless to say I enjoy my life and have to much to look forward to so i did not jump out there but several in our party did- and I had to look the other way!
Below is a picture of me holding up the cliffs.

And here is the crew at the top- don't we look so refreshed from our supposed 3 hour hike up that took 5!!

Now I have no picture from when we got back to the bottom because it was literally pitch black. We took a little longer than expected and ended up fininshing the hike in the dark- good thing we had some Norwegians with us- they have like inbred GPS or something! Anyway- it was a great way to go out with a bang! Thanks guys!

5 comments:

Landis said...

Riss, what are you crazy! That looked like it was scary. But you are the daredevil of the family. NUTSO!!

Landis said...

Riss, this is Mike and I so want to be there to take some killer pics. Next time you go you should definately invite me.

Preben and Ellen said...

i'm so jealous i couldn't be there with you!!!

The Martindells said...

You amaze me with your energy and enthusiasm...so, what "rock" will you climb in Brussels?

Chandana said...

Hi Marissa!
Happened to see your profile on fb and came across this post!
Kjerag would always be a memorable event for me!
And thanks for all the encouragement and patience :-)
So how are you? Hope all well and life's great?
Keep in touch,
love, chandana.